Thursday, June 18, 2020

You've Got to Be Taught

In a recent Facebook posting, I objected to the idea that all white people are inherently racist, because of the privilege they have had in not being immediately subjected to prejudice because of their appearance. To me, that is just as bad as saying that all black people are inherently lazy, all Asians inherently hard-working, or any other claim made about the inherent characteristics of any entire group of people.

In 1949, Richard Rodgers wrote the following lyrics for South Pacific:

You've got to be taught to hate and fear
You've got to be taught from year to year
It's got to be drummed in your dear little ear
You've got to be carefully taught 
You've got to be taught to be taught to be afraid
Of people whose eyes are oddly made
Or people whose skin is a different shade
You've got to be carefully taught 
You've got to be taught before it's too late
Before you are six or seven or eight
To hate all the people your relatives hate
You've got to be carefully taught
You've got to be carefully taught
I firmly believe that....and I believe it because I was not so taught; despite relatives who held such beliefs, my parents--especially my mother--impressed upon me that  every single person I met was to be judged on his own merits and not by what group he was part of.

We lived in a neighborhood that was primarily white, but bordered on others that were mixed and even primarily black. My elementary school was probably about five percent black; my junior high school and high school more likely 50 percent black, Latino (we called them Hispanic back then), and other non-white ethnic groups. I was beaten up more than once in those 12 years--but it was never by a non-white kid...it was always by kids who looked a lot like me.

So, I was taught to be afraid, but not of people who looked differently, but of people who thought differently.



3 comments:

Cat Calhoun said...

Differences and Labels. When my daughter was in kindergarten she came out to the car after school one day and said "I want curly hair like (whatever the classmate's name was)." There were more comments about the wonder of the curly hair. I asked her to point out the little girl. As I suspected, the little girl was African American. My daughter, at age 5, did not see skin of a different color, she saw, very desirable, curly hair. In that moment I realized that our preconceptions about people are learned.

Patrick Daniel O'Neill said...

We had a very similar experience with TJ at that age. He came home excitedly talking about the new friend he had made. We asked about the friend and TJ talked about the things they both liked (certain cartoons and TV shows, for example). The next morning as we entered the schoolyard, TJ said, "There's Ben..." and ran up to a little black kid. Color was the one thing he had never mentioned.

FTR, TJ went to the same elementary school I did, which by that time was probably at least 50 percent black and Latino.

Anonymous said...

It’s called implicit bias. Google it.