Wednesday, June 24, 2020

Stripes

Something a little light-hearted today:

On a set of striped sheets, which way should the stripes be aligned--vertically, from the foot to the head of the bed? Or horizontally, from side-to-side?

This morning I was putting a brand new set of sheets on our bed and, like every other set with stripes I have ever had, I started out putting the fitted sheet on "vertically". And discovered I couldn't make it fit, despite being the right size for the bed. So I called in Jill.

She discovered that the manufacturer had actually attached labels to the sheet, indicating the sides. I have never run across that before, so I didn't even think to look for them...and it turned out the stripes are intended to run "horizontally".

I can only think that they had to label the sides because they were going against the standard alignment.

1 comment:

Cat Calhoun said...

Stripes should go from head to foot! Across would feel wrong.
On this subject, I find it annoying that manufacturers feel obliged to put elastic all the way around a fitted sheet. Fitted sheets were always a challenge to fold: ones with elastic at the corners or across the ends were more difficult; elastic all the way around you might as well just wad them up in a ball. With elastic across the ends you also had a clue as to which way the sheets went on the bed.