Monday, June 08, 2020

Defund the Police?

It's a common suggestion in the past week or so: "Defund the police". Some have even gone so far as to say "Disband/abolish the police." The plan seems to be to apply the money used to operate the police departments to increase the staffing and training of social workers...even to the point of having social workers take over the role of police officers entirely.

While I agree that there needs to be a great deal more done in the area of social work, I sincerely doubt a social worker can replace a police officer in all respects. The argument seems to be the social workers would be able to de-escalate situations that the police only exacerbate. That may be true in some cases--but if I were a wife being beaten by my husband, I would want more than someone who will try to "talk him down" when I dial 911. I would want someone with the power to restrain him physically and to arrest him. That's a police officer.

If my child is missing, I want someone trained to investigate and find the child, not just someone who will console me and promise to assist me in dealing with the trauma. That's a police officer.

And, yes, if I am confronted with a violent situation that threatens my life and/or property, I want someone with the power to protect me physically, not just psychologically. That's a police officer.

Without an organized police force, we would return to the days of the "thief catchers" and "vigilante committees," groups of citizens who choose what crimes and what people to pursue, often based on their own interests and concerns, including monetary rewards.

Is that truly what these demonstrators want?

No comments: