Saturday, June 13, 2020

In Memoriam: Denny O'Neil

Denny O'Neil, comic-book writer and editor, famed for his work on Green Lantern/Green Arrow, Batman and a host of other titles, died on Thursday at the age of 81, reportedly from natural causes.

 Despite the similarity of our names, Denny and I were not related and, as far as I can recall, met only once. In fact, Denny was the very first comics professional I ever interviewed, a decade or so before my career in comics journalism (or any journalism) had even started. I was working in the news department of the radio station at my college, City College of New York. We were what is called a "carrier station," that is, we could be heard only on campus, by sending our signal through the electrical system of the buildings. Still, we tried to run a professional operation, including a weekly interview program.

 One week in 1971, I decided to try to do something about comics and I was able to convince Denny to make the trip from midtown to our campus in Harlem. We did a very successful one-hour interview that was even later aired on one of the city's FM stations, with which we had an agreement to provide programming. (Quite frankly, I forget which one it was.) It was probably my ability to hold my own on that platform that gave me the courage to start doing print interviews with comics pros in about 1983.

 I can't do justice to Denny's career, at least not better than the overview my friend Glenn Hauman did at ComicMix.

No comments: