Sunday, December 06, 2020

Remembering My Youth

 How much do you remember of your childhood? As I get older, I find that certain details fade. Certainly, I still remember the layout of the house I grew up in and the neighborhood (the fact that I left that area only about 20 years ago and frequently visited until earlier this year probably helps), but other things have become fuzzy...like the names of the friends I played with.

Some are still clear but others remain just "the family that lived across the street and two doors down." The names of neighbors who didn't have children are even more harder to recall. My immediate next-door neighbors I still can name...but the ones a few doors away or across the street are merely blurry faces without names in my memory.

Weirdly, though, I still vividly recall other parts of my childhood--the Saturday morning shows we watched, and even the schedule they aired on, as an example. The theme songs of those programs and others I haven't seen in decades. The daytime soap operas my mother watched (she was strictly a CBS network fan): The Brighter Day, Search for Tomorrow, and As the World Turns.

Why are some things so crystal clear and others just dimly recalled?

No comments: