Thursday, December 10, 2020

Hotel Blues

How hard should it be to make a hotel reservation? I went online to a hotel I have used many times before to make a reservation for this weekend. The online system refused to deal with me because I had my browser set to reject cookies. So, I went in and changed that to allow all cookies. Still rejected. Went in and specifically said to accept cookies from the hotel's site. Still rejected.

So, I gave up on that and called the phone reservation line. Despite being an 866 number (which are usually manned 24 hours), I was told that the office hours didn't start until 9 AM. (It was about 8:50.) I hung up, waited about 15 minutes and tried again. I got the same voicemail message. I left a message.

So I called the hotel front desk, explained the situation, and the clerk said he would check on the reservation staff. He came back to say that the first thing the staff does on arrival is check all their messages, so I would probably get a call back soon.

Thirty minutes later, still no call back. I tried again and this time got a live body in the reservations office. She was apologetic about my problem and immediately began taking my information. Now, I have used this hotel often enough that as soon as I gave my name, she began reading back the info to me. Five minutes later the transaction was complete. I have my reservation.

But should it have taken three on-line tries and three phone calls?


No comments: