Wednesday, December 30, 2020

Mid-Holiday Doldrums

 Even back in my childhood, I always found this time between Christmas and New Year's to be problematic. All the excitement of Christmas had usually dissipated by the morning of the 27th and the weather was not often conducive to being outside. (Staten Island rarely got snow before January, so sledding was out, but it was too cold to be out biking or something like that.) As a kid, New Year's Eve was nothing special, really...my parents would get me up around 11:30 so I could watch the ball drop on TV, but our big celebration was dinner the next day with my father's family.

As an adult, it got better--I would attend New Year's Eve parties, for instance. But December 26 to 31 often felt like a long period of nothing much.

And, of course, in this time of pandemic restrictions, it's even worse. There's so little to do in normal circumstances that the letdown from Christmas just feels that much worse. Don't get me wrong--I'm not depressed, just feeling a bit at loose-ends. Jill and I both have lots of time on our hands...and nothing we can do with it. Normally, we might plan a night out--a movie and/or dinner--but that's not possible now.

I'm hoping it will all make next year's celebration that much brighter.


No comments: