Saturday, February 13, 2021

Vote-ee-Oh-Doh

 I'm not going to comment on the arguments made by Trump's defense team yesterday for two reasons:

1. I didn't watch all of them.

2. From what I have seen, there was little there to comment on.

I am going to make a sort-of prediction, though. First, what should happen: There should be a unanimous vote to convict. After all, 98 of the jurors were actually witnesses to the events in question. (The two Senators from Georgia had not yet been seated on January 6.) But we cannot reasonably expect that outcome.

What I'd like to have happen: I'd like to see Trump convicted by a vote of around 70-30. I can't honestly expect more than about 20 Republicans to vote with the Democrats.

What will happen: Trump will be acquitted by a vote of around 40-60. I think there are 10 Republican Senators who, allowed to vote their conscience, will vote to convict. Which ones? I think we can count on Collins, Murkowski, Romney, and Toomey. I think Cassidy and McConnell are possibles. I leave the other four to your choices.


No comments: