Saturday, February 20, 2021

Who Knows?

 "Nobody knows anything."

That was how screenwriter William Goldman (The Princess Bride, All the President's Men, among others) described the situation of predicting success in Hollywood. I've come to believe the same is true of the future of the pandemic.

On the same day President Biden predicted a return to at least "near normal" by the end of this year, a doctor made the prediction we'd be at herd immunity by the end of the spring. They can't both be right (nor can the pessimists who insist we will never conquer COVID). Frankly, I'll take what comes.

And I'll do, for the most part, what the experts recommend. I say "for the most part" because there are some things I do that they may not feel are safe. I do not feel the need to wear a mask if I am outdoors, largely on my own, including walking in the park. I have no problem with dining indoors at a restaurant I can tell is maintaining social distancing, masks (except when eating), etc. 

I do not live in fear of my life in the pandemic, but I understand that others do.

1 comment:

Cat Calhoun said...

I'm with you: "who knows?" We just keep doing what they suggest, being cautious, and going ahead with life. Unlike you, I do wear a mask outdoors and I try to avoid people who do not. I rarely go in stores and never eat out, although I do get carry out. When the numbers had gone down, back in the summer, I had begun to occasionally go in a stores (that were not crowded) and had even eaten at a restaurant on an outside patio. Then the numbers shot up and I went back into more or less isolation. Not fear as much as I don't want to tempt fate. It would be just my luck to go "oh, think I'll eat out" and no matter the precautions I get covid. Would really like to be around a few more years! I also figure that the fewer people are out there the less opportunity the virus has to spread, so I stay home and am one less vector for possible spread. My public service.