Thursday, February 25, 2021

Commission Commitment

 My best friend, Rich Kolker, asked this morning who could be named as chair of a commission to investigate the events of January 6 who would be acceptable and respected by all sides.

My first thought was George W. Bush. I think it would be difficult for any Republican--save for the hard-core Trumpies like Hawley and Boebert--to object to the only living former President who is a Republican (Trump, obviously, is out of the question). Bush is on good terms with all the Democratic former Presidents, and with the sitting President, Joe Biden. I don't think even the far left wing of the Democrats (AOC, Sanders, etc.) would oppose his being named to the post.

And, though Rich didn't ask about this, I think Pelosi has to give up on the idea of weighting the other members to the Democrats. The general public will see that as unfair, let alone the Republican members of Congress....however, I do think none of the commission members should be current sitting office-holders or likely candidates in the next four years. And a few experts on intelligence and security wouldn't hurt, either.


No comments: