Sunday, February 14, 2021

Ice Ice Baby

 Well, it was a break from the snow....

Yesterday afternoon, about two, we started to get a misty rain...and I mean misty. It never actually felt like it was falling from the sky, just sort of hanging there. By nightfall, it had begun to freeze on surfaces--notably cars and railings. I had put salt on my driveway to attempt to forestall the freezing and it worked for a while. At 9 o'clock, only a few patches were slick...but when I checked at 11, the whole driveway could have been used to play hockey. I figure the ice was about an eighth of an inch thick.

I had a commitment to be at church at 10 this morning. At 6:30, I got up, dressed and went outside to throw salt around. Things must have warmed some already because, while the ice was still slick, it was clear that some melting was beginning. By 8, the driveway, although not clear of ice, was driveable. By the time I returned from church at 11, you'd never have known there was an ice there at all.

Just rain tonight they say and warmer weather by Tuesday--48 degrees for the high--but possible snow again Thursday night into Friday.

It's already the snowiest February in Philly on record.


No comments: