Sunday, November 08, 2020

What--Me Worry?

 


Bells have rung, horns have blown, there's been dancing in the streets. In the oft-repeated words from The West Wing, "What's next?"

I'll tell you what I think isn't next--President Trump actually getting any court to uphold his baseless claims of massive fraud. Courts are historically reluctant to overturn elections--even the famed 2000 Supreme Court decision actually verified the certified results in Florida, even though it halted a recount. What's more, the courts will probably wait until the results in the "questionable" states are certified, by which time the whole thing may be moot, anyway.

So, what am I worried about? What Trump (and McConnell) will do in his remaining 73 days in office. I expect a flurry of pardons for Trump's minions...even the kind of pre-emptive pardon Gerald Ford gave Richard Nixon in 1974. I expect a big push to get even more conservative judges confirmed (I don't know how many seats on the bench are still open, but I expect them all to be filled before January 20). I expect an attempt to codify in law the many executive orders Trump has announced in the past four years (that won't succeed--but it will freeze an awful lot of necessary activity in both houses).

And I worry that at least one of the remaining Senate seats will go to a Republican...meaning McConnell can do to Joe Biden what he did to Barack Obama--stall every nomination, block every initiative--and then bitch and moan when Biden falls back on executive orders to accomplish at least some of his goals.

What do you worry about?

No comments: