Friday, November 06, 2020

I Love to Sing-a....

 I'm not a great singer--but I have a strong voice with a pretty good range (baritone to second tenor) and I can fill a decent sized room (say, the average church) without a microphone. And I really love to sing.

So, as should have been obvious from yesterday's post, I really like being in musical theater. That means, I have to audition with a song. I have a few that I fall back on, depending on the show and the role I'm trying out for. Two of them are from My Fair Lady, by Lerner and Loewe: "On the Street Where You Live" and "With a Little Bit of Luck." I might also go with two Rodgers and Hammerstein classics--"Some Enchanted Evening" and "You've Got to Be Taught" from South Pacific. If the show is a bit more contemporary, I might choose "Falling" from They're Playing Our Song, by Sager and Hamlisch.

I also like to do karaoke, something I haven't been able to do much this year. Since that tends to be more pop than Broadway, my go-to choices are different. Among them are "I Can't Help Falling in Love With You", made famous by Elvis Presley; "Always a Woman" and "Just the Way You Are," both by Billy Joel; "Daydream Believer," made famous by the Monkees; and one I haven't had the chance to try yet, but really want to--"The Winner Takes It All," by ABBA.

Do you sing? What are your favorites to belt out?

1 comment:

Cat Calhoun said...

I can't carry a tune in a bucket. Can't hear much either. After hearing me sing a friend commented that it was the only time she had ever heard anyone hit every key in one song.
BUT...
I love to sing and the one song I REALLY love to sing is The Battle Hymn of the Republic. My version is very military and very rousing - also not in any particular key.