Friday, May 08, 2020

One Week In

Today marks one week since I retired. What's changed? I no longer have someplace to go three days a week. Unfortunately, due to the pandemic, I have nothing to replace that commitment. I'm looking for volunteer work of some kind, but even most of that is "on hold" right now.

I'm watching a lot of TV...finding I have access to stuff I didn't know I had. Last night, I watched the pilot episode of Ally McBeal, a show I didn't catch up with in its original run until the second season. I just found out I can watch Eureka from the beginning; I hope it's as good as I remember it.

There's a lot of British TV I'm enjoying. For instance, if you've never seen QI, a series that's been running in the UK for more than 15 years, you're missing some really hilarious stuff--imagine a talk show/quiz show developed by a cross between Monty Python and the folks from the "Carry On" films.

I caught up with the first season of Star Trek: Discovery, but haven't felt the urge to watch the second season yet. I've watched the first half of the first season of Picard, but, again, no real urge to get back to it. I lost interest in the CW's superhero shows, with the exception of watching the "Crisis on Infinite Earths" crossover; even Supergirl seems to have gotten very dark lately.

How are you filling your time?


3 comments:

Cat Calhoun said...

Congratulations on retirement! Really wishing I could. You might try the British show Big Fat Quiz of the year and The Big Fat Quiz of Everything. Both come out right after Christmas and are hilarious.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your retirement! My wife and I watched All of Picard. It was kind of fun but I found myself saying, “why didn’t they do that?”, “How does that work?” And the like. I found out I shouldn’t think too hard about the plot. I am currently enjoying “Upload” on Amazon prime? Basically, in the near future your memory and personality can be uploaded to a virtual world before you die. In the real world there is a liaison “angel” who responds to you, can appear in your virtual reality and smooth problems out. The story follows the new “life” of an uploaded young guy who has died in a traffic accident. There are some very funny parts, but it is also a mystery because the accident he died in was arranged. Anyway, when this is over we should find a trivia place wher we can social distance in masks and answer questions.

Alex

Patrick Daniel O'Neill said...

Alex:

We should absolutely do that! And thanks for the tip on "Upload".