Wednesday, May 06, 2020

My Life in Theater

One of the local community theaters I work with, Colonial Playhouse in Aldan, PA, is trying to keep its members and supporters in touch with a newsletter that includes occasional interviews with those members and supporters, conducted by other members or supporters.

Recently, my friend Ally Batot, interviewed me for that project. I thought the results were interesting enough to share here.


What was your first show with Colonial?

The first show I did at Colonial was The Bride of Brackenloch in, I think, 2010. I had worked with the director, Erin Guard, in a show at Barnstormers and when I saw she was directing this one, I decided to audition. I played Chief Inspector Yardley.

What is your favorite part of community theatre?

That's really difficult to answer. I've enjoyed virtually everything I've done in theater, from acting to directing to lighting to set design. My favorite part is really the people I've worked with.

What first got you interested in theatre?

Now we're going way back. My earliest memory of being on stage was playing the Easter Bunny in a skit in third grade. I really started in theater in high school, playing (among other roles) General Bullmoose in Li'l Abner, Tin Man in The Wizard of Oz, Richard in Take Me Along. I guess I fell in love with the idea of entertaining.       

What is your favorite show you’ve ever done?

Right now, I'd have to say Inherit the Wind. Other faves were Forbidden Broadway and Macbeth.

I know you’ve done a lot of work on stage and behind the scenes; Which do you like more - acting or directing?

As I age out of the roles I'd like to play, I'm finding directing more rewarding. There's great satisfaction in developing a plan, a vision of how to put a play on stage and seeing it come to fruition.

What is the funniest thing that's happened during a show?

Boy, that's tough to say. There were some very funny moments during Bedroom Farce involving a collapsing piece of furniture. It was supposed to collapse...but getting it to stay upright until the right moment was a challenge.

What are some of your dream roles?

As I noted, I'm aging out of a lot of parts I'd like to play. Looking at the ones I'm still in the right age range for, I'd say Tevye in Fiddler on the Roof, Fagin in Oliver!, Col. Pickering or Alfie Dolittle in My Fair Lady (I'd settle for playing those in Pygmalion), Mayor Shinn in The Music Man, King Henry in The Lion in Winter.

Do you prefer musicals or straight plays? Why?               

I love musicals, but I'm rarely cast in them these days because my dancing skills are abysmal. If I'm going to sing, it's more likely in some kind of a review. As far as directing goes, I'm definitely a straight play guy.

What has kept you sane during this quarantine?

You're assuming I was ever sane to begin with! I try to get outside as often as I can, with appropriate precautions, just to get some fresh air and natural light.

Have you taken up any new hobbies?

Not yet. But I'm retiring at the end of April, so I'll have to find some stuff to do, at least until the community theaters reopen. I'm thinking of starting a blog, tentatively titled "Retirement Diary".

Some people choose to spend their newly found free time learning a new language. If you could learn any new language, what would it be? Do you know any other languages besides English?

I can read a bit of Spanish (at least enough to get the gist of a newspaper article), I can speak a bit (with a terrible accent) in terms of asking directions, answering simple questions. If I were to approach learning another language, I'd consider German.

Dog person or cat person?

Dog person, definitely--mostly because I'm highly allergic to cats. I can appreciate the sleek beauty of a cat, but only from a distance. I like the unconditional love a dog can give.

What’s something that inspires you?

My family. Good music. Heroism in everyday life.

If Hollywood was to make a movie on your life, who would you want to play you?

Tom Hanks...if he was good enough for Mr. Rogers, he's good enough for me.

If you could direct any show at Colonial with an unlimited budget, what show would it be?

I have several on my bucket list: The Lion in Winter, The Philadelphia Story, The Matchmaker (the straight play inspiration for Hello Dolly!)

What is something that would be in the “special skills” part on your resume?

Singing, I guess. I consider myself an actor who sings. Even when doing a number as a stand-alone piece, as in a talent show or review, I try to create a character. Other than that, I'm a decent amateur artist, which lends itself to set and scenic design.

What is the first thing you want to do once we’re out of quarantine?


Hug my friends!

If you'd like to know more about Colonial Playhouse, here's a link to their website:

http://colonialplayhouse.net/


No comments: