Tuesday, September 29, 2020

The Duck Soup Debate

 Why do I have the feeling a certain amount of tonight's presidential debate will sound like these two exchanges from the Marx Brothers' masterpiece, Duck Soup?

Minister: "We need to take up the tax." 

Groucho: "I'd like to take up the carpet." 

Minister: "I still insist we take up the tax." 

Groucho: "He's right - you've gotta take up the tacks before you can take up the carpet."

Or

Prosecutor: Something must be done. War would meant a prohibitive increase in our taxes.

Chicolini: Hey, I've got an uncle that lives in Taxes.

Prosecutor: No, I'm talking about taxes. Money. Dollars.

Chicolini: Dollas! There's-a where my uncle lives! Dollas, Taxes!

 You take your choice as to which candidate is playing which part in those scenes.


No comments: