Friday, September 18, 2020

What Makes Me Feel "Old"

 At the age of 68, I generally do not feel "old". I still move pretty well, my aches and pains are few. I have some health problems, but none of them are disabling.

I feel old when I find out that some celebrity of my youth has died (the latest was Dame Diana Rigg) or that someone of that era has passed a milestone birthday (I dread the day Betty White turns 100, though I hope she gets there). I am often surprised to discover or realize that people I once thought of as young are or were older than I imagined. (I recently discovered that Honor Blackman--of The Avengers and Goldfinger--would be just two years younger than my mother if both were still alive.) I first saw actress Diane Lane as a pre-teen in the film A Little Romance in 1979 (memorable because I saw it on a plane flying to London for the World Science Fiction Convention)...she is now 55 years old. I was enamored of Annette Bening in The American President in 1995...first of all, I'm shocked to realize that film is 25 years old, and further shocked to realize that Bening is 62 now!

What makes you feel "old"?

No comments: