Tuesday, September 08, 2020

More on Mandatory Vaccines

Back in June, I suggested that when a proven C-19 vaccine is available, it should be made mandatory.

Now, with controversy over President Trump's "prediction" (more like an absurd political wish-dream) that it will be ready before Election Day, there are people saying they certainly will not get it then (neither will I), and some say they will never believe it is safe. That got me to thinking of an experience from my childhood.

When I was in, I think, fifth grade, the Sabin oral polio vaccine was approved and became widely available. I remember virtually every child in my New York City public school lining up in the nurse's office, where she put a drop of the vaccine on a sugar cube and popped it into our mouths. I'm pretty sure it was mandatory; there may have been what we call now an "opt-out" provision for those with religious or health concerns, but I don't recall anyone in my class not taking the vaccine. (There might have been a few Christian Scientists in my Staten Island neighborhood, but I wasn't aware of any.)

I do not see why the same protocols could not be used in the current situation. While COVID is not as deadly or as debilitating as polio, it is certainly more contagious. And it would need to be mandated in more than schools--as I said back in June, it ought to be a requirement to get a driver's license, a passport, or any other government document.

Your thoughts?

No comments: