Monday, July 06, 2020

Fan Art: Modesty and the Doctor

More years ago than I want to remember (though I think it must have been about 1979-80) I wrote and illustrated a fanfic story about the Third Doctor of Doctor Who meeting and having an adventure with Modesty Blaise, the sexy criminal/adventurer created by Peter O'Donnell in a British comic strip and then in a series of excellent thriller novels. It was one of a series I was thinking of, with various incarnations of the Doctor meeting characters from comic books and comic strips. (The only other one that was ever finished involved the Fourth Doctor and a member of the Green Lantern Corps. I had planned on one with the First Doctor meeting the Fantastic Four early in their career, but never got around to it.)

Anyway, since I wanted the art to be similar for both the Doctor's characters and Modesty's, I had to "cast" actors to play Modesty and her partner Willie Garvin. (Obviously, I used photo reference of Jon Pertwee and Katie Manning for the Doctor and Jo Grant.) The art from that story is lost to time, but I decided to try and re-create it here and now. Modesty is "portrayed" by Barbara Bach (best known from The Spy Who Loved Me and as Ringo Starr's wife); Willie is David Warner (the number of movies and TV shows he's been in is countless, but you might know him as Jack the Ripper in Time After Time).






No comments: