Friday, April 02, 2021

Two Films to Miss

 What's the worst movie you've ever seen? I'm not talking about the acknowledged disasters, like Plan Nine from Outer Space or even Reefer Madness. I'm talking about a movie made by people with respectable resumes and careers, that had reasonable budgets (i.e., not made on a shoestring), and that the filmmakers obviously intended to be successful?


For me, it has long been and remains Superman III, with Christopher Reeve, Richard Pryor, and Robert Vaughan. I should point out that I saw it at a press screening during the time I was writing regularly for Starlog. I have always joked that it was movie I saw for free and still paid too much. I have steadfastly refused to ever see it again.


Second place would have to go to Ken Russell's abominable attempt to make a movie from Sandy Wilson's musical The Boy Friend, starring Twiggy in the role originated on stage by Julie Andrews (yes, you read that right). I also saw this at a press screening when I was in college, working for the campus radio station. What's wrong with it? Virtually everything--casting, tone (Russell took a light-hearted retro romp and turned it into a dark "behind-the-scenes" story), jettisoned all the best songs (or reduced them to a verse and a chorus, often performed while other action was taking the forefront), and filmed it all in cinema-verite style. Another film I have never made any attempt to see again (and I love musicals!).


No comments: