Wednesday, April 14, 2021

Behavior Modeling

 In this pandemic, how far does my personal responsibility extend? If I am comfortable not wearing a mask outdoors in non-crowded situations--such as a walk through a suburban neighborhood or a wide-open park--should I worry that my decision is "modeling" bad behavior for those who would choose to not wear masks in other more crowded conditions? Should I worry that my decision to eat in a restaurant--following all the local rules regarding that activity--will encourage others to be more risky in their own behavior, such as going maskless in a crowded bar?

I think not. Extending such philosophy to non-emergency situations, should I be concerned that my decision to wear only a light coat in 40-degree weather will lead others who are more prone to weather-related illness to do the same? Is it a problem that I go hatless most of the year--both in cold weather and in extreme heat and sun? Is that encouraging others to be equally "reckless"?

Reversing this: Is the guy who drives while texting encouraging me to be equally foolish? Or am I responsible for my own decisions in that regard? 

Make your own choices, based on the best information you have about both the community situation and your own.


No comments: