Tuesday, April 13, 2021

My Perfect Community

 If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be?

Here are my requirements: I want someplace that has actual seasons, but not extreme ones. That eliminates places like Hawaii or the Caribbean where it is essentially what we'd call "summer" 12 months of the year. It also eliminates places that get really cold on a regular basis.

I want a place with a major city nearby, but not necessarily in that city. I like the things that being near a city provide--theater, restaurants, public transportation. So the northern midwest is out of the question as is much of the Deep South.

I want a place where I can have outside space that belongs to me, to use at my convenience. It doesn't have to be huge--I'm not looking for acres of land, just a decent sized backyard. That probably means the really close "ring suburbs" of most cities are unlikely.

I want neighbors and community, but not to be cheek-by-jowl with them. I want to know I can go next-door or a couple of houses down and find someone to ask for help if needed. And I want diverse neighbors, a community that welcomes people of all kinds.

I want good schools and libraries--not because I have kids but because they say the community cares about kids and families, and education, and civic responsibility. 

Am I asking too much?


No comments: