Saturday, October 24, 2020

What Do You Miss?

 We're nearing eight months of pandemic, isolation, lockdown, etc. It's beginning to feel like the aftermath of a blizzard that has lasted two-thirds of a year (on the other hand, at least the power hasn't gone out, around here, anyway). 

I miss seeing people. Yes, I run into friends at the grocery store; yes, I have the chance to Zoom meet with a group every other week. But today is my younger son's birthday...and I haven't seen him since Christmas. I miss physical contact--shaking hands, hugging. I miss seeing the lower half of a person's face (the eyes convey a lot, but without the mouth, it seems like half the emotional information is missing).

I miss entertainment outside my own home: live theater, movies seen with a crowd, dining out. I miss new entertainment, even at home...the pandemic has halted, slowed, and delayed production on virtually all forms. Yes, it means I'm searching for and discovering older stuff I missed in the past...but old favorites that normally would be back by now are still not there.

So, what do you miss?

No comments: