Tuesday, October 06, 2020

Comic Book Memories

 Taking a break from discussing politics (thankfully)....



That's the cover of the first comic book I can remember buying on my own--Justice League of America #4, May 1961. What makes it even more memorable is the way I bought it...not at a newsstand or corner candy store, but in my school library. In 1961, I was 9 years old, so I must have been in fourth grade. The school library held a used book sale, to which the students contributed. Someone, I don't know who, brought this one issue of JLA in. I was intrigued by the cover; I knew Superman well from TV and recognized the other heroes from seeing their titles on the stands--but I had not seen them together before. I bought it (I think it was a quarter). 

I have a copy of JLA #4 now...but not this one. I was not a "collector" in 1961...I don't know what I did with this copy of the issue, but it disappeared before I began collecting for real about five years later.

In the near future, I'll tell the tale of the first Marvel comic book I recall buying.


No comments: