Sunday, October 11, 2020

Re-United?

 Have you ever gone to a class reunion? I have not.

The 50th year reunion of my high school graduating class was last year. I might have gone, but thinking it over decided it would be a waste...on several levels. I was not popular in my high school and I have not kept in touch with anyone I went to school with. Even when I have encountered them on Facebook (there's a group for people from my hometown), we simply acknowledge each other and then move on. I am not even FB friends with any of them. In addition, my high school was, by some standards, quite large: There were about 500 people in my graduating class; I knew perhaps a quarter of them by face and far fewer by name. I never went to the popular "hang out" spots. 

The 50th year reunion of my college graduating class will be 2024. I am even more unlikely to attend that one. If my high school class was large, my college class was enormous. My closest associates and acquaintances would be the couple of dozen people from the campus radio station...and there's no guarantee any of them would be there. In addition, I didn't finish in May; I finished in January. So, am I part of the 1973 class? Or the 1974 class?

I fear either occasion would be much like the high school dances I sometimes attended. I would be standing against the wall, watching everyone else enjoy themselves.


No comments: