Friday, August 14, 2020

Obligations, Responsibilities

In recent days, I have come across several examples of people who served in the military using the phrase "I fought for your rights" in response to those who disagree with them on matters of race, politics, or protest...almost always from people taking the most conservative stance on those issues.

I honor, respect, and thank those who have served in the military, such as my late father, who was a SeaBee in WW2, my late father-in-law, who retired as a full colonel from the Army, and my niece, a West Point graduate who is currently a captain in the Army Reserve and has taught at her alma mater. But having worn the uniform of your country does not excuse you when you act in a manner that sullies that uniform.

You have an obligation, a responsibility, not to use that service as a cover for your racism, your disrespect for those who honestly disagree with you, your wholesale disregard for the values of the nation you say you fought for. Don't tell me you fought for my right to protest while you simultaneously tell me I shouldn't be protesting. Don't tell me you fought for my right to vote while you simultaneously support those who would deny that right to others.

Live up to the oath you took when you put on that uniform and performed that service you claim to be proud of.

No comments: