Saturday, August 15, 2020

Memories of Home

Thanks to a link in a Facebook post, I was able to find this picture:


That is 70 DuBois Ave, on Staten Island, the house I grew up in (but not where I was born; my parents moved there in early 1953, just before I turned one year old), as it looked when the City of New York took photos for tax purposes 1939.

It still looked pretty much like that most of my school years; the siding and front porch were replaced, as I recall, in the late 1960s. And by the time I knew it, the driveway on the right no longer existed. The old wooden garage it led to was still standing though, used as storage by my family until it literally fell down in the 1970s. The most interesting thing about it was that the previous owner, who did use the garage and driveway, had decorated the interior walls with all his old license plates, going all the way back to this era. I suppose he owned the house when this photo was taken.

For the record, the room I shared with my younger brother was the front second floor window on the left; the one on the right was a "dressing room" for when our bedroom had been the "master bedroom." It was basically extra storage space for us. The rear window on the left indicates where my parents' room was....and my sister's room was all the way in the right rear corner.

My sister owns the house now; she bought it from my mother who continued to live there until just before her death earlier this year. It's being remodeled for my sister to rent or sell in the future.


No comments: