Friday, December 31, 2021

Looking Forward

 As promised, here's my report on what I plan to be doing (and/or hope to be doing) in the New Year.

Theater: I am currently working as assistant director of a very funny play called Sylvia, about a middle-aged couple with a new dog (the eponymous Sylvia). There are elements of Harvey, Mr. Ed, and (for those of a certain age) the basset hound Cleo in the TV series The People's Choice. Performances are in March.

Immediately after that, I will begin auditions and rehearsals for a show I have been planning in my head for nearly two years: The Lion in Winter. You may be familiar with the film version, starring Peter O'Toole, Katharine Hepburn, Anthony Hopkins and a number other fine actors. It tells a fictionalized version of the conflicts in the family of Henry II and his wife, Eleanor of Aquitaine, largely over which of their three sons will succeed to the throne. It hits the stage in June.

Family life: I hope, as COVID conditions improve, to get out and see people more, together with my wife. We made two brief trips in the past year--one to Lancaster, PA for a four-day visit to friends, the other over Thanksgiving to New England to visit our son and daughter-in-law. In the coming year, I'd like to get to New York to see my other son and his significant other. 

I'd also like to have more time with local friends, for friendly breakfasts and lunches.

No comments: