Wednesday, December 29, 2021

Looking Back

 As we approach the end of the year, it is natural to look back and look forward. In today's post, I'll look back at 2021 and on Friday, I'll look forward to 2022.

On a macro level 2021 was something of a disaster, wasn't it? It began in the middle of a health crisis and never really got completely out of it. Politically, it started with a facetiously contested election, culminating in the first attack on our capitol since 1814 and the first one by citizens of this country ever. We are still dealing with the aftermath of all that, including the politicization of the health crisis.

There were numerous weather and other natural disasters, many of them linked to climate change by experts who ought to know what they're talking about--and even that is politicized. And political progress on almost any issue is stagnated, largely by a handful of elected officials who apparently put clinging to office and power above serving their constituents.

On a micro, personal level, 2021 was a mixed bag. I had my own health crisis which I have, so far, come through with flying colors. But my retirement, which began in mid-2020, has developed into a slow slog toward a new normal, mostly because of the macro events discussed previously. My plan, upon retirement, was to dive headlong into community theater--directing, acting, designing--and, of course, community theater all but shut down for most of a year. It is only now beginning to show signs of life. I'll discuss what that means for me on Friday.


No comments: