Saturday, October 16, 2021

The Not-So-Wonder Years

 A rccurring question on socisl media: Given the chance, would you go back to your high school years?

I am often amazed by the number of people who answer in the affirmative (although, given the way some people in their 40s and older still brag about what high school they went to, I probably shouldn't be). An awful lot of people seem to remember their high school days the way Kevin Arnold did on The Wonder Years...and I have to wonder if they are only remembering the best parts.

My answer is negative. While my time spent in high school was not uniformly horrible--it is the place where I discovered theater and performing, after all--it is also a time when I had few real friends, was ostracized for not being athletic, and had my heart broken by two different girls. I had teachers I liked and admired, but others who I found to be cold, aloof and completely unsuited to the profession they found themselves in.

I did not come out of high school morose and depressed (thank heavens), but neither did I come out of it elated.

 


No comments: