Monday, October 04, 2021

Pondering the Weather

 I was just getting used to the cooler weather and now it has turned warm and muggy around here again. I turned on the air conditioner in my office for the first time in three weeks this morning.

This is, I think, the greatest effect on human living from climate change--we no longer get to acclimate ourselves to the seasonal changes. When I was growing up, we could count on a gradual cooling from mid-September to early November, starting from a high in the 70s and declining to a high in the 50s by just after Halloween. Now, the "fall" (such as it is) bounces all over the charts--Friday night, I slept in long pajamas and a light cover; last night, I was in shorts, no shirt, and a fan going. I suspect that's what I'll wear tonight as well. But by next weekend, we'll be back in the low 50s for an overnight low.

And then November will bounce around from 60ish to 40ish, before finally settling into the low end of that scale, after Thanksgiving. I used to put away summer clothes and pull out winter stuff around Halloween...now I never know what to plan on from week to week.


No comments: