Thursday, January 28, 2021

Winter Doldrums

 I know there was a time when I loved winter. I have clear memories of sledding well into my teens. I remember snowball fights and trudging through drifts and not minding a bit.

Even as I reached my early adult years, I can't say I hated winter in general. Sure, by the time I was commuting to work, even a minor snowstorm was a pain in the ass and a major one--say a foot or more of snow--was just impossible to deal with. But just cold weather? Not a problem.

Now, though, as I approach my 69th birthday, I find myself really dreading the winter. We're only about halfway through it (if you figure it starts at the end of November and ends at the end of March), and I've already had enough---and this hasn't even been a bad winter so far. We've only had one measurable snowfall and temps through most of January were above normal.

A larger part of it may be the diminished daylight. It's still dark at 7 in the morning, and dark again at 5 in the afternoon. Yes, that will get gradually better over the next month, so that by March daylight will be at least an hour longer, but I still find it depressing to spend a third of my waking hours in the dark.

Maybe I need to move to the tropics?


1 comment:

MorwensCat said...

Winter was never my favorite season but I could cope - even in Chicago. But now, I hate. I hate going out in the cold. I hate the wind. And I really hate shoveling snow. If I lived in a townhouse community it might not be so bad. I didn't mind it as much when someone else shoveled the walk and the parking lot. I didn't mind it as much when I could take trash out whenever I wanted and did not have to trundle cans to the curb. I am constantly looking for communities that take care of the outdoors and ones in AZ!