Saturday, January 09, 2021

What Do You Read?

 Still keeping things light (or trying to):

What's your favorite form of reading material? Two decades ago, I would have answered science fiction...but too much SF has taken on a dark, dystopian feel. Even the normally future-hopeful genre of Star Trek has begun to look at the world through a dark glass.

These days, I'm reading mysteries--and mostly older mysteries. I went through the entire Nero Wolfe catalog, including the ones not written by Rex Stout. I've started my way through Erle Stanley Gardner's Perry Mason novels--there are more than 80 of them, so that will take me awhile. If I read a currently published mystery novel, it's likely to be historical.

In addition, I read a certain amount of non-fiction: History (I'm in the middle of one about the Bowery section of New York City), politics (but not current politics, thank you--I get enough of that in the news), some popular science (especially paleontology).

So, what do you read?

No comments: