Saturday, January 16, 2021

Chasing WandaVision

 I watched two things last night on TV: WandaVision and The Chase.

I'm not sure about WandaVision; I get that there's more than the surface to what's going on (a hint was the reaction of the boss's wife to his choking), and that the surface is an homage to sitcoms, especially The Dick Van Dyke Show and Bewitched, but I'd prefer if that homage were more loving and less satirical. It wouldn't detract, IMO, from the underlying premise if it were.

In addition, I find that there is little comedy chemistry between stars Elizabeth Olsen and Paul Bettany. Their timing is so bad that Kathryn Hahn stole every single scene she was in. I may wait until there is more to watch in a bunch to try again.

OTOH, I quite enjoyed The Chase. It's a neat format for a trivia/quiz show. The one thing I don't like is that, like every new game show since Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, it is swallowed up in flashing lights and loud, dramatic musical stings. Why is it that producers haven't noticed that the most successful game show in TV history, Jeopardy, relies on none of those things? (They've even toned down the sound effects when someone hits a Daily Double in recent years.) The tension and suspense should come naturally from the gameplay and not need to be augmented with gimmicks.

I'll keep watching because, like Jeopardy, the questions are frequently quite difficult and cleverly written.


No comments: