Tuesday, March 16, 2021

Trivial Pursuits?

 I've enjoyed playing trivia since the earliest days of Jeopardy, back when it aired on NBC at noon and was hosted by Art Fleming. Over the years, I've realized that I have a wide range of knowledge that isn't particularly deep except in a few areas.

Those areas include most forms of pop culture, including film, television, comics, and theater. I'm also not bad in history and geography and language (as long as we're sticking with the Greek, Latin, and Germanic-related words). My science knowledge is OK at the high-school level, but weak if you get any more complicated than that, and I recognize a lot of mathematical terms, but would be hard pressed to apply them properly.

What I know of classical music comes from church, a little high school chorus, and a lot of animated cartoons. OTOH, I have a pretty good handle on a lot of fine art. I used to be good on pop music...but my knowledge and interest in most of what's been recorded in the past 20 years is very low. I'm not hopeless in sports, but my knowledge is a mile wide and inches deep.

I do well, usually, when playing in a bar or something like that. I'm currently participating in an on-line trivia league. Last year, when I first joined and was playing against other "rookies," I routinely won and came out among the top contestants. This year, having moved up to what might be called the "AAA" level, I'm struggling. Still having fun, but learning my limits.

No comments: