Tuesday, July 13, 2021

The Problem with CRT...

 ...and, no, I don't mean "cathode ray tube".

For the first time in many years, I attended a meeting of my local school board, because some postings on social media suggested there would be a challenge during the public comments on "critical race theory." I wanted to be there to see just how much fuss would be made and how the board and other administrators would respond.

Well, it turns out there was only one person who brought it up, asking if CRT and/or "white fragility" were or would be part of the curriculum. The very smart superintendent stopped the discussion with three sentences (I'm paraphrasing here): "Our curriculum is based on material approved by the state education department. The state education department has not approved CRT as part of the curriculum at any level. Therefore, it is not and will not be part of our curriculum." The questioner sat back down.

After the meeting, I spoke with the superintendent, with whom I have been friends since the time my kids attended school. I said to her, "I'd put $100 down on the fact that the questioner couldn't define 'critical race theory' if you asked him to." She agreed, saying it was obvious he was following a script he'd found on social media. "CRT is a college-  and law-school-level subject, completely inapplicable to elementary and high-school courses," she said.

That is the problem with this whole controversy--it is being fanned into flames by people who don't understand the terms riling up people who have even less understanding of them.


No comments: