Monday, May 31, 2021

Surgery Report

 Well, Jill spilled the beans about my health situation on Facebook, so I guess there's no point in keeping it quiet any longer.

I was diagnosed with prostate cancer last summer. At the time, it did not appear to be serious and my doctor said we could simply monitor it and see what happens. In his words, "More men die with prostate cancer than from prostate cancer." Alas, that was not to be my fate. 

All the indications were that it was getting worse. Blood readings called PSA were increasing, the tumor itself was pressing against the wall of the prostate. When conditions crossed a red line back in March, he said we needed to make a decision--either remove the prostate or treat it with radiation. For someone of my age, he recommended the surgery.

So, Friday morning I had my prostate removed it what seems to have been a successful and uneventful operation. I came home from the hospital yesterday afternoon. I'll be using a catheter for about a week and then begins the work of retraining my bladder and sphincter to control things. I've laid in some incontinence supplies.

As for right now, I am in no serious pain. Bending is a bit stressful, but walking--even climbing stairs--is not impossible. Full recovery may take a few months.

But I'm OK.


No comments: