Thursday, November 11, 2021

Veterans Day

 Just as I came up to my desk, I heard the tail-end of what I can only call a "rant" by a "spokesperson" for veterans--and no, I didn't get his name--on MSNBC, decrying the aftermath of the US withdrawal from Afghanistan in August.

He made several claims--without offering proof--that the Taliban are hunting down and executing Afghans who worked with the US and allied forces. He said veterans were ashamed of the way these allies were "abandoned" by our government--again, without offering any examples of this attitude being expressed, except by himself. 

He concluded that "veterans are not celebrating today," because of this decision by the Biden adminstration. I would bet a lot of veterans are celebrating--celebrating that no more American lives will be lost in an unwinnable conflict, celebrating that so many of their brothers and sisters came home alive and will not have to go back, celebrating that our government at last came to its senses about the appropriate way to combat terrorism.


No comments: