Thursday, January 14, 2021

Number 14?

 It is widely rumored that Jodie Whitaker will be leaving her role as the title character on Doctor Who at the end of the 13th season, currently in production and scheduled to be aired in the fall. That will mean that, in terms of number of episodes, Whitaker will have the shortest tenure as the Doctor in the show's 58-year history. (Of course, little of that is her fault--her first two seasons were cut to 10 episodes from 12 by budget restraints and her final one is reduced to eight because of the pandemic.)

Although the BBC has yet to confirm the rumors, speculation has already begun on who should succeed her in the role....so I've decided to put in my own thoughts. Admittedly, this has only jelled for me in the past couple of days, as I watched my candidate perform as a contestant on BBC's Celebrity Mastermind game show.


My choice would be comedian and panel show personality Stephen K. Amos. Why? Well, as I watched him on the show--which he won, by the way--I saw a mature man with a gravitas belied by a twinkling eye...precisely what I think the show needs right now. I don't think we need another very young person, such as Matt Smith or even Whitaker. I don't think we need another grandfather-figure. We need someone like Patrick Troughton or Tom Baker--someone who could be a leader but with the slightly off-kilter attitude of those men.

Here's a link to the Wikipedia entry on Amos. Read it, catch one of his appearances, and see if you don't agree.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_K._Amos

No comments: